Wednesday, August 22, 2007

You're Going to Be a Daddy & Turn 30!


My sister-in-law took this photo... just after we shared news with the family and before celebrating Chris's 30th. Yes, thats the test I'm holding trying to display while Chris clutches his beer.

The day I found out we were pregnant, Chris was out on a boat in the middle of a weekend-long fishing tournament. After taking many tests the months and weeks prior and getting to know the "negative" result very well, I was sure I would see the same that day. In fact, for the first time, I sat the test on the floor and walked away. When I came back I knew before I picked it up... for the first time that little digital stick clearly displayed ONE word ("Pregnant") not two ("Not pregnant"). Of course I took another one after that, this time the kind with the lines and for all the times I spent squinting at those sticks wondering if maybe that was a line... this was obvious. My reaction to that was to look up and say "Really?!" I didn't hear God answer me, but I'm pretty sure thats because he just had--- twice!

I decided to wait until Chris got home but that meant waiting for the tournament to end, the conspiracy regarding the results to be resolved, and Chris to be there until the very end because they placed 2nd in the tournament (post-conspiracy resolution). By the time he got home, I thought I had the "playing it cool" act nailed. I had made dinner (which okay, I admit is a pretty strange occurrence in our house), and even sat down to eat first allowing Chris to tell me all about the fish and the weekend. After we finished I told him I got him a present for doing so well... and brought out a gift bag with the test in it. He picked up the bag and said "We're pregnant". I smiled and said "Just open it". So he opens it and looks at it and says "Really? We are?!" I said "I took two". He hugged me and said "Brady... mama's pregnant". That sentence did not contain "treat, walk, dinner, or poop" so it didn't do much for her.

For the rest of the night, we each took turns saying "can you believe it?" or "we're pregnant".

Good stuff.

On Chris's birthday, we gathered the family to tell them the news. We put another test in a jewelry gift box (I had given Chris a watch for his birthday) and Chris said he wanted to show everyone what I got him for his birthday. He opened the box and said "She's pregnant". Gasps, a few screams, and lots of hugs followed.

More good good stuff.

No comments: